What is the hCG Diet?
The answer to a question like “what is the hCG diet” is very simple. This is a diet that was created by Dr. Albert Simeons in the late 1950s. This diet was discussed at length in his book entitled Pounds & Inches. The hCG diet is a special diet plan that dieters can take in order to drop weight quickly.
So what is the hCG diet and what’s involved? The entire plan is broken down into four phases. The first stage of the diet involves the daily use of 125 to 175 IU of HCG product. This can be taken as an injection or in the form of oral drops. Anyone needing to lose around fifteen pounds can use a 23 day course of the product, while anyone needing to lose more than that can use a 43 day HCG kit. Dieters are encouraged to consume as much as they want to eat, especially fatty foods, at the first two days of the diet.
Phase two begins on the third day of the diet plan. After taking two days of HCG injections and eating as much as one wants, the dieter begins the very low calories diet (VLCD), which requires consumption of no more than 500 calories a day. The VLCD continues until the dieter has been off the last dose of HCG for three days. This is to ensure the maintenance of one’s blood sugar and fat levels, and it also prevent the return of unwanted, ravenous hunger.
The dieter will then enter phase three, where he or she can consume whatever is desired provided it is absent of starches or sugars for three week. After this third phase, the dieter can begin to reintegrate complex carbohydrates into his or her diet in moderation and stabilize his or her weight loss.
When you are addressing the question of what is the HCG diet, the subject of potential bodily immunity will arise as well. The longest HCG dosing period recommended in the diet should never exceed 43 days. Dr. Simeons states in the Pounds & Inches that “Patients requiring the loss of more than 34 lbs must have a second or even more courses.
A second course can be started after an interval of not less than six weeks, though the pause can be more than six weeks. When a third, fourth or even fifth course is necessary, the interval between courses should be made progressively longer.” This is because studies have revealed that some people begin to develop immunity to the hormone supplement after a period of time, and it stops working as a metabolism enhancer and appetite suppressant. For some reason, some people have hCG break down very fast in the body, and extensive exposure to the hormone speeds up this break down process. In order for the diet to work, the dieter must follow the very strict protocol that is provided in Pounds & Inches.
Here’s Dr. Simeons Original Very Low-Calories Diet
Breakfast: Tea or coffee without sugar. Only 1 tablespoon of milk allowed in 24 hours.
* 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp. Remove all visible fat before cooking.Could be boiled or grilled without additional fat.
* Salmon, eel, tuna, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed.
* Choose 1 vegetable from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage.
* 1 breadstick (grissino) or 1 Melba toast.
* 1 apple, orange, or a handful of strawberries or 1/2 grapefruit.
Dinner: same choices as lunch (remember to eat different protein for different meals)
Other important tips:
* The 500 calorie limit must always be maintained.
* Tea, coffee, plain water, or mineral water (2 liters of water per day is recommended) are allowed, and may be taken in any quantity and at all times.
* The juice of one lemon daily is allowed for all purposes.
* Salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley, thyme, majoram, etc., may be used for seasoning, but no oil, butter or dressing.
* The fruit or the breadstick may be eaten between meals instead of with lunch or dinner
* Very occasionally we allow egg – boiled, poached or raw – to patients who develop an aversion to meat, but in this case they must add the white of three eggs to the one they eat whole.
* Cottage cheese made from skimmed milk is available 100 grams may occasionally be used instead of the meat
* No medicines or cosmetics other than lipstick, eyebrow pencil and powder may be used without special permission. However, Aspirin and birth control are allowed on the Simeons HCG Diet.
* No massage of any kind are allowed